Fall Gardening Symposium for Jeffco residents, extend and wrap up the vegetable year | Environment
Following the success of the Spring 2012 Gardening Symposium, the Colorado Master Gardeners of Jefferson County announce the class schedule for the Fall 2012 Vegetable Gardening Symposium to be held on Saturday, August 4th from 8:30 to 3:30. The Fall Symposium will provide information regarding tending and extending vegetable production in urban gardens into the “third gardening season” in Colorado.
“This year, many gardeners have been impacted by record high temperatures that restrict plant growth and fruit set,” said Patti O’Neal of the Jefferson County Extension Office. “We want to assist those gardeners to maximize production of crops into the fall and to help set those gardeners up for success in the spring of 2013. There are many steps we can take this year to be better prepared for a healthy garden in the spring.”
Topics for the Fall Symposium classes include how to save heirloom vegetable seed for next year’s garden, a look at the most common pest and disease issues in Colorado, the value of garden clean up, the importance of maintaining garden tools, and how to preserve your garden harvest. “We are especially pleased to offer instruction from Stephanie Estreen, Certified CSU Extension Volunteer and Master Food Safety Advisor,” said Ms. O’Neal. “Anyone who plans to can or freeze their vegetables should be aware of all the new, updated food safety information.”
Interested gardeners should register at http://fallveggardfoodpres.eventbrite.com and use promo code CMG2 until July 28 to receive a $10 discount off the $85 class fee (which includes lunch).
Colorado Master Gardeners are trained in a variety of horticulture practices by the professors at Colorado State University and are charged with creating community by sharing gardening information with the public.
Top Lakewood Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Four hot air balloons crash in separate incidents Saturday
- Police search for man accused of sexually assaulting 9-year-old girl
- Savings expert identifies best deals during Memorial Day holiday weekend
- Sheriff’s office: 18 malnourished horses seized from Morrison property
- Former Boulder officer sentenced for DUI
- Family, friends of 17-year-old who died suddenly have plan to honor her
- Girl who got hit is on mission to warn about texting and driving
- Photos: Elitch Gardens lights up Denver with Memorial Day fireworks
- Mobile home fire sends smoke soaring over Bolder Boulder
- Police continue search for missing Lakewood man