Driver charged in 14-year-old’s death | News
LAKEWOOD, Colo. – A 40-year-old woman faces vehicular homicide and careless driving charges after hitting and killing a 14-year-old boy Friday afternoon in the area of S. Garrison St. and W. Baltic Ave. in Lakewood, according to police.
Investigators say Rhonda Kay Romero was driving northbound on S. Garrison St. when her 2004 Kia Spectra ran off the road and struck two 14-year-old boys who were walking northbound on the sidewalk.
The second victim was transported to St. Anthony West Hospital where he was treated and released with non-life threatening injuries.
Investigators say prescription medicine may have played a role in the accident.
The identities of the juvenile victims have not been released.
Top Lakewood Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Slideshow: Vampire Weekend and Of Monsters and Men in Denver
- Lakewood Bank robber escapes after running into book store
- Couple considers legal action to stop bullying of their son at school
- Multi-vehicle accident in Clear Creek Canyon injures 5
- Video: Special player for Golden H.S. hits 3-pointer, crowd goes crazy