Colorado’s Missy Franklin wins Gold at the Olympics | News
LONDON — Missy Franklin of Centennial won her first Gold medal of the 2012 Summer Olympics Monday.
The 17-year-old swimmer won the women’s 100-meter backstroke for the United States. She finished the race in 58.22 seconds. She did that just a few minutes after landing the eighth and last qualifying position in the 200-meter freestyle semifinals.
Emily Seebohm of Australia finished in 58.68 to take the silver medal and Aya Terakawa of Japan finished in 58.83 to take bronze.
Franklin won the backstroke just a few minutes after landing the eighth and last qualifying position in the 200-meter freestyle semifinals.
Franklin won her first medal Saturday. She was a member of the U.S. Women’s 4×100 relay team that won the bronze medal.
Franklin attends Regis High School.
Top Lakewood Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lakewood Bank robber escapes after running into book store
- Couple considers legal action to stop bullying of their son at school
- Multi-vehicle accident in Clear Creek Canyon injures 5
- Video: Special player for Golden H.S. hits 3-pointer, crowd goes crazy
- Semi crashes on I-70, partially dangles off bridge