Jeffco Board of Education puts two questions on Novemeber ballot | Politics
On June 7, the JEFFCO BOARD OF ED VOTED TO PLACE A $39M mill and a $99M bond ON THE NOVEMBER 2012 BALLET.
Community and business leaders are joining together with Jeffco Schools, to ask voters to approve two questions that will be on the November ballot. A strong, successful school district benefits the entire community by providing a well educated work force, attracting good businesses and protecting our property values.
Issue 3A will generate $39 million for operational costs which will help Jeffco Schools:
* Recruit and retain the best teachers
* Maintain classroom size
* Allow Jeffco to continue to provide students with the instruction and skills necessary for success in college and the workplace
* Ensure students have access to music, teacher librarians and libraries, physical education, and Outdoor Lab Schools
* Restore two school days for students
Over the past three years Jeffco Schools has cut its budget by $63 million. Without 3A, the district will face another $45 million in budget cuts for the 2013-2014 school year. We cannot depend on the state for
increased funding for schools. We know funds generated by 3A will stay in Jeffco and benefit our students.
Issue 3B will provide funds for much needed repairs and maintenance on Jeffco's buildings and facilities. These repairs are critical to ensure students are safe, warm and dry. They include:
* Upgrade safety and environmental systems, including fire protection, wiring, heat/air conditioning and plumbing
* Major roof replacement on 16 buildings
* Sidewalk and pavement replacement
* Window and door replacement
* Water heater, fire pump and roof drain replacement
Jeffco Schools is nationally recognized as one of the best large school districts in the country. We have a tradition of excellence in the classroom, on the athletic field, in the arts, and most important, in the
development of good citizens. Issues 3A and 3B will cost Jeffco homeowners $1.23 per month per $100,000 of home value. For the average homeowner in Jefferson County that's $3.06 per month or a dime a day. This is a great value for Jeffco citizens!
Watch Citizens for Jeffco Schools Launch Campaign:
View CBS4 News Coverage at: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/08/jeffco-school-board-to-ask-voters-to-approve-mill-levy-increase/
Now is the time to:
Share information and Rally our community to Support this Campaign. T-Shirts are available at: supportjeffcoschools.com. They look great with our YES on 3A and 3B logo. Let's wear them to spread the word: Support Jeffco's Traditions of Excellence!
E-mail email@example.com to volunteer "Your Gift of Time".
< >SPEAKERS are available to discuss 3A and 3B, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Citizens for Jeffco Schools is a grassroots effort. DONATIONS are greatly appreciated. Please go to: supportjeffcoschools.com.
Join us on June 29-30, 2012 at the American String Teachers Association (ASTA) Summer Conference. Jill Moynihan, Golden Music Center and Laine Morrison, Great Education Colorado will lead a session discussion:
Public Education Funding in the State of Colorado: Problems and Solutions
ASTA's Summer Conference will feature the Colorado Chamber Players and Bijoux Barbosa. There will be great sessions and a silent auction to support CO String Students. Visit: http://www.colo-asta.org/conferences.htm.
Top Lakewood Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lakewood Bank robber escapes after running into book store
- Couple considers legal action to stop bullying of their son at school
- Multi-vehicle accident in Clear Creek Canyon injures 5
- Video: Special player for Golden H.S. hits 3-pointer, crowd goes crazy
- Semi crashes on I-70, partially dangles off bridge